When you suffer a serious injury on someone else’s property, there is the possibility that the property owner can be held liable for your damages. Explore your legal options with the help and guidance of The Gatti Law Firm. We have a team of Clackamas premises liability lawyers at the ready. Dial (503) 543-1114 now or send an online contact form.
Different Types of Premises Liability Hazards
We can work on a variety of premises liability cases, such as:
- Slip and fall accidents: Most premises liability cases involve a slip and fall accident. Hazards like lifted carpeting, wet tile floors, missing handrails, and dimly lit walkways commonly cause slip and fall accidents on various properties, including commercial and residential locations.
- Dog bites: Uncontrolled pets can present hazards to visitors and welcome guests, especially aggressive dogs. You can sue a dog owner if their animal attacks you, even if the dog never showed any signs of aggression before.
- Negligent security cases: Certain property owners must take reasonable steps to secure the premises from criminal activities, like robberies and assaults. Failing to protect welcome visitors, guests, tenants, and others can make the proprietor liable.
- Attractive nuisances: Property owners can be liable for injuries suffered by children who were attracted to the property due to its appearance and who could enter the property easily. For example, a swimming pool in plain sight from the street and that has no perimeter gate is an attractive nuisance.
Were You an Invitee or Licensee?
Premises liability claims are complicated because they introduce the legal concepts of invitees, licensees, and trespassers. Every person on someone else’s property will fit one of these concepts under the law. The type of visitor you were at the time of your accident will impact your case’s validity and your chances of recovering full compensation.
Property owners owe different duties of care to the following types of visitors:
- Invitees: An invitee is a visitor who is on the premises for the property owner’s benefit or who has been invited to conduct business. Shoppers in a retail store are a common type of invitee. Plumbers and other home service professionals are also invitees.
- Licensees: A licensee is a visitor who is on the premises for their own benefit, even if that benefit is shared by the property owner. Social guests who have been invited over for a party are a common example of a licensee.
- Trespassers: A trespasser is a visitor who is on the premises unlawfully, without the permission of the property owner, or with the intent to commit a crime while there. Burglars are common examples of trespassers.
The duty of care that a property owner owes to someone is highest when considering invitees. It is lower for licensees and even lower for trespassers. By this legal logic, it is easier for you to bring forth a valid premises liability claim as an invitee than as either a licensee or a trespasser.
Can You Get Security Footage of Your Accident?
Did your premises liability accident happen while you were on a commercial or industrial property, like a retail store, grocery store, or mall? There might have been security cameras in the area that recorded your accident. But, even if you report your accident to the property owner the same day that it happened, there is no guarantee that they will save that footage. The security system they use could delete the footage automatically in a few days.
Our Portland and Clackamas premises liability attorneys can contact the property owner and instruct them to save the security camera footage they have from the day of your accident. If they receive this notice from our legal team and still allow the footage to be lost, then it can look bad for their defense. However, we need to send them this notice as soon as possible, so we advise you to call our firm at (503) 543-1114 within the next 24 or 48 hours after your accident.
Your Case Starts Here – Call Us Today
The Gatti Law Firm has a team of local Portland & Clackamas premises liability attorneys who know their way around difficult cases. If you need help with any sort of injury claim, then you can count on us. We are ready to fight to secure complete compensation on your behalf.
Contact our firm to schedule a consultation.