Truck accidents are some of the most devastating that can occur. They cause significant injuries, sometimes fatal. But how often do they happen? Who is the most common person responsible for these crashes? We’re here to provide you with some of the stats you need to know.
Before we get into some of the numbers, we want to make it clear. We are aware that around 80% of truck accidents are the result of passenger vehicles. However, truck drivers operate 80,000-pound machines. When a crash occurs because of a negligent truck driver, it can lead to long-term dangers.
Here are some vital stats you should know about:
- In 2019, there were a total of 4,119 deaths in large truck crashes.
- Of those fatal injuries, 72 were large truck occupants. Another 2,132 deaths involved passenger vehicle occupants, showing how severe these crashes are.
- An estimated 500,000 truck accidents occur each year in the United States.
- On average, roughly 71% of truck accidents occur in clear weather.
- When looking at liability, roughly 25 percent of fatal truck accidents occur because of truck drivers with at least one prior speeding conviction.
- Fatal truck accidents occur roughly once every 15 minutes.
Working with an Oregon Truck Accident Lawyer to Get Results
At The Gatti Law Firm, we know how truck accidents can drastically change your life. Big rig crashes can lead to traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damages, broken bones, and more catastrophic injuries. We work to obtain maximum compensation through the legal system.
Our Oregon truck accident attorneys work to be your guide during a challenging situation. When you need someone on your side, trust that we’ll be the advocates to hold negligence accountable. For years, injured parties have put their trust in our team to get results when necessary, and that’s precisely what we’ve done. We’ll work hard to help you, too!