We always aim to help individuals recognize the potential causes of severe car accidents. As such, we want to break down two of the most common causes of crashes: intoxication and aggression. You should understand how these causes play a role in pursuing a claim.
Signs of Intoxication
Drunk driving is one of the most significant problems on the road. Intoxication can decrease a driver’s ability to focus and make decisions. You should make sure you look for these signs as an indicator that another driver may be drunk.
Some common signs of drunk driving include:
- Swerving in and out of traffic, across lanes, or on bumper strips
- Speeding up and slowing down erratically
- Driving with his or her headlights turned off at night
- Failing to stop for stop signs or traffic lights
- Making wide turns and missing turns
If you see a drunk driver on the road, make sure you stay away from them. You should not try to pass the vehicle. Instead, stay back and use a hands-free device to call and report the drunk driver.
Signs of Aggression
Aggression on the road is a real thing. Countless people find themselves in a situation of road rage daily. Unfortunately, aggression leads to severe problems, resulting in a crash. If you recognize any of these signs, make sure you try to avoid the driver and report them to the proper authorities:
- Tailgating: An aggressive driver will push up against your bumper and try to force you to move out of their way.
- Honking: You may hear the loud honking behind you; it’s most likely the other driver trying to get your attention.
- Lane blocking: If you’re trying to get away from an aggressive driver, they may try blocking your lane and swerving to prevent you from passing.
Never engage with an aggressive driver.
At The Gatti Law Firm, we’re aware of your rights if someone who is drunk or aggressive causes you to suffer personal injuries because of a severe accident. Let our Salem car accident attorneys work on your behalf to pursue the outcome you need.