Disturbing Nursing Home Abuse Statistics You Should Know
While not everyone thinks about the abuse that occurs in nursing homes, this is a prominent issue that happens far more often than it ever should. As a result, countless individuals suffer harm because of negligent staff members and problems within the nursing home system.
For many families, recognizing some of the statistics regarding nursing home abuse can be helpful in the decisions you make regarding your elderly loved one. Here are some of the things you should know and the potential problems that may exist for the elderly.
Statistics About Nursing Home Abuse
- Between the years of 1999 and 2001, nearly one-third of all nursing home facilities reported and violated for their actions in violating federal standards. These violations could or did result in the elderly suffering significant harm within those facilities.
- Roughly 10% of the facilities in the statistic above were in violations of standards that could lead to catastrophic injury or death.
- In 2010, it was shown that nearly half of all attendants in nursing homes admitted to having some hand in abusing or neglecting elderly individuals within the facilities at which they worked.
- Over half of those with the title of Certified Nursing Assistant admitted to verbally abusing elderly residents. This includes yelling at them, using foul language, and other statements that threaten the health of the elderly.
- Of all nursing home residents, roughly 40% have stated that they suffered from and reported some form of abuse. Over 90% of them state that they have either experienced neglect or saw other residents be neglected.
The statistics are alarming and go to show the serious nature of nursing home abuse. As such, The Gatti Law Firm will be here to stand by the sides of nursing home residents who suffer significant abuse at the hands of someone who was supposed to provide them care.
Trust in our Oregon nursing home abuse attorneys to be your voice during this difficult time. We’ll go the extra mile to protect your rights and help you understand what options you have to pursue justice against a negligent nursing home.